Facebook event page
Empowered Yoga Mindfulness & Lifestyle
suite 201 1524 91st, Edmonton, Alberta T6X 1A2
Many athletes are turning towards yoga, not only to enhance performance but also to create a deeper body-mind connection, balance the effects of prolonged stress from competition and trauma, facilitate healing and prevent injuries. Unfortunately, however without the proper consideration and sequencing specifically designed for the “athlete body” certain yoga practices may cause more harm than benefits. The Yoga for Athletes course is designed for those interested in teaching yoga to athletes, as well as those working one on one therapeutically with performance focused individuals. We will dissect the various anatomical and psychological considerations for working with athletes of various sports followed by practical application, teaching methodology and sequencing for specific sports.
Lectures will include:
• A deeper look at the main joints: Shoulders, hips, & spine.
• What is “flexibility" and does it actually enhance performance?
• Improving range of motion by focusing on control, depth and strength at end range.
• Injuries: what we can do as teachers to facilitate healing and what we should avoid.
• Muscle imbalances: We often think of dysfunction only in terms of tightness, however dysfunction is often a result of weakness in specific muscle groups, causing surrounding muscles to over work.
• Specific considerations when working with athletes include: under and overdevelopment in certain muscle groups, sport specificity, injuries, stress, predisposition to ignore pain and the competitive mindset.
• Sports Psychology- Sympathetic vs Parasympathetic response, utilizing pranayama and meditation to enhance focus, create balance and grace under pressure.
• Facilitating Relaxation: Rest is the most overlooked component of performance, however the harder you are on anything the faster it breaks down. Learn ways to guide relaxation and enhance rest and digest.
• Effective Sequencing for specific sports
• Working one on one
Michele Theoret has 20 year’s experience working in the health and fitness industry in Yoga, personal training, athletic conditioning and “whole” istic medicine (nutrition, movement and lifestyle). She has studied anatomy, physiology, biomechanics, nutrition, sports medicine, psychology and biochemistry receiving her BSc in Exercise science, MS in Natural Health Sciences and is working towards her MA in counselling psychology. Upon completion of her degree, Michele opened a Yoga and Fitness studio in 2003, where she created and facilitated Yoga, indoor cycling, strength training, nutrition and lifestyle programs. During this time Michele was also the strength and conditioning coach, yoga and nutrition coach for 14 minor and elite hockey teams and worked one on one with professional athletes and weekend warriors in various sports. Michele has continued to study movement and holistic medicine for the last decade including: Yoga, Myofascial release, Anatomy Trains, Ayurveda, TCM and psychology. She is a perpetual student of human experience and abody nerd. Now fully immersed in grad studies in counselling psychology Michele is inspired to combine her understanding of the human mind and its potential for change.
Michele with be assisted by Luc Theoret, former assistant coach in the WHL and professional hockey player.
$500 plus gst
Saturday Just 6 and Sunday July 7
*for special circumstances, we offer extended payment plans. Limited quantity available
A deposit is required to hold your spot. Please note you must pay in order to hold your spot in workshops and training. Cancelations up to 30 days prior to the event may be issued a credit. Unfortunately, we are unable to issue a credit within 30 days of the event. For more info, contact Michele at [email protected]